Members of the Haverford Community-
I’m writing to let you know about some upcoming changes that Google is making that may impact some of you.
On Wednesday morning, September 21, 2011 Google will be changing the underlying technology that HaverApps uses. For the most part users won’t notice much difference in HaverApps mail, calendar, contacts, documents, or sites. The big change relates to the other services Google offers.
Today there are 72 different publicly available web-based services that use Google for logging on separate from our Google Apps for Education suite of services. You’ve heard of the most common ones: Blogger, Maps, Finance, Picasa Web Albums, Voice and YouTube – but there are many more.
What to Expect
There are two things that will stand out to you in this transition. Starting Wednesday, September 21:
- Users will not be able to set up new Google services or log in to existing Google services with your @haverford.edu account. You can check the list of google services that will be impacted by looking at this list.
- Users will not be able to log in to HaverApps and another Google Service on the list in the same browser at the same time.
What Should I Do
Please check the list.
- If you don’t use any of these services, no problem.
- If you use some of these services but log on with a personal Gmail or other email account, no problem.
- If you use any of these services regularly and you log in to that service with your @haverford.edu email address, it’s important that you change the e-mail address to a personal account before Wednesday, September 21.
We’ll be communicating a bit more about this in the time leading up to the change and we’ll be posting more details as they become available.