When Apple OS 10.7 (Lion) was released in the summer of 2011 Apple announced that they were discontinuing support for the PowerPC architecture. Since many applications for Mac were written for PowerPC, IITS announced a wait and see approach on support for 10.7 and spent some time testing, finding problems and identifying workarounds.
As of February 2012 with 10.7.3, the following problems and workarounds still exist with for folks who are using Lion:
- Several common applications used by staff, faculty and students on campus cannot run. Current versions must be installed. These include:
- Filemaker 6
- Filemaker 8
- Office 2004 (Many documents created with Office 2004 and saved in the default format will not open in later versions of Office for Mac)
- Centralized backup using Retrospect will no longer work. Users should use storage.haverford.edu to back up important files.
- iLife updates are no longer provided as part of the OS updates. Users can create an Apple ID and use the App Store for updates to iLife.
- Users cannot connect to webpublish.haverford.edu using SMB://. Users should use FTP:// instead.
- Certificates for the Haverford-Secure wireless network do not install properly. Change the Certificates option in KeyChain Preferences to OFF.
- Java is not included by default with Lion. Please visit the Apple website to download Java.
Although these issues are significant for some on campus, they are not earth shattering. Effective with the publishing of this post, IITS will support the use of MacOS 10.7.3 Lion and future service releases of 10.7.
For Macs purchased prior to August 2011
Users may upgrade at their own expense or at the expense of their department by downloading the new 10.7 from the Mac App Store. IITS does not pay for intermediate software upgrades to MacOS computers. We will continue to support the OS that shipped with your computer through the computer’s four-year life cycle.
For Macs purchased between August 1, 2011 and February 15, 2012
Macs purchased after the beginning of August 2011 shipped with Lion, so no upgrade is technically necessary. We can simply re-image your computer with Lion and, in doing so, put the OS it shipped with back on. Contact the IITS ProDesk for assistance.
For Macs purchased after February 15, 2012
When your computer is ordered please specify which image you would like us to apply (OS 10.6.8 or OS 10.7.3)