Using a Mailing List
Individual access to mailing lists is controlled by the list owner. Provided the list owner allows it, you can take advantage of the following list tools.
Browse lists at Haverford
All public lists are listed on the web at http://lists.haverford.edu/mailman/listinfo/
Use a list
Once at the list of list, you may select and learn about any mailing list at Haverford via the web interface. If allowed by the list owner, you may use the web interface to:
- Subscribe to the list (receive mailing to the list)
- Unsubscribe from the list
- Post to the list
- View sent messages in the list archive
- Change subscription options
- stop getting mail while on vacation
- restore list mail when back from vacation
To access mailing list option and archives you need a list user password. By default, you have a separate password for each list to which you subscribe. If you forget you password, you can request a password reminder.
You can set all your list members passwords to be the same. On the subscriptions options page, check Change Globally.
About Moderated Lists and Moderators
Most lists at Haverford do not have a moderator unless specifically requested. For most lists, the administrator serves as the moderator and approves posts. If a list has moderators, list moderators work with the list administrator to maintain the list; they primarily moderate postings to the list but cannot change list settings, add moderators, or subscribe list recipients.
When a message is sent to a moderated list address, the message is held by the list. An email is then sent to all list moderators and administrators notifying them of the held message. The message will not be sent to list subscribers until approved by a list moderator or administrator.
How to Moderate a Message Sent to a Moderated List
- Moderators and administrators receive a email notice from the list with the subject line like “listname post from firstname.lastname@example.org requires approval.” This email notice includes a link to the list’s message moderation page. Click on the link in the email for the list moderation page. If you don’t get an email notice, use the following URL adding the name of the list at the end: http://lists.haverford.edu/mailman/admindb/<listname>.
- Once at the list moderation page, you will be required to login using your list moderator password.
- Once authenticated, moderators will be able to view all message that are being held for moderation.
- Action options are located inthe left column of each sender table. Select an action button next to the message you wish to moderate. If there is more than one message from the same sender, select the message you wish to moderate within the sender table by selecting the message number.
- Defer — the list holds the message indefinitely. This is the default message action.
- Accept — sends the message to all list subscribers.
- Reject — Discards message. Sends a notice to the message sender indicating that the message will not be sent to the list subscribers.
- Discard — discards the message without notifying the sender.
- To perform the selected action, click on the submit all data button.
Forgot Your List Moderator Password?
List moderator passwords are set by the list administrator. These passwords cannot be synchronized with other list passwords or changed by the list moderator. If you forgot your moderator password, please contact email@example.com or your list administrator. To identify your list administrator, find your mailing list on the list information page at http://lists.haverford.edu/mailman/listinfo/. The list administrator’s email address appears at the bottom of the list info page and looks like “listname is run by firstname.lastname@example.org.”