Faculty and academic staff may print to networked printers located around campus. If you are unsure of the best networked printers to select, please contact ProDesk.
These instructions work for Xerox copiers, although they have an additional accounting feature that needs to be installed. For more information about Xerox copiers, which may provide networked printing, scanning, or faxing (depending upon the model), see Using the Xerox Copier Machines with your Networked Computer.
These instructions do NOT work for the HP copiers.
Follow the instructions below for your computer’s operating system:
Set up Printing from Windows:
- Go to your Start Menu and click in the Search field (or click Run… for Windows XP & Vista).
- Type \\paine.quaker.haverford.edu
- Press the <Enter> key.
- Find the printer you wish to add and double click on it.
- Once the printer installs, that printer’s queue window will open.
- To make it your default printer, click on Printer -> Set as Default Printer.
Set up Printing from Mac:
- Open System Preferences (Apple -> System Preferences)
- Click “Print & Fax”
- Click the + symbol to add a printer
- Select “IP”
- For Protocol, Choose “Line Printer Daemon – LPD”
- Enter Address: paine.quaker.haverford.edu
- For Queue, Type the Printer Queue Name (ex. Stokes_204L)
- For Name, use the same Printer Queue Name as above
- For Print Using: Choose “Select Printer Software“
- In next window, browse to printer model being installed (ex. HP LaserJet P4010 Series) – Tip: Use the search (ex. 4010)
- Click “OK”
- Choose proper Installable Options (ex. Duplexer)
- Click OK
- Your printer is now installed
- Open System Preferences and click on Print & Fax.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- You’ll see another window. Click on the Advanced button on your menu bar.If you do not see see the advanced option, add it. Right-click (or Control+ click) on the menu bar and select Customize from the pop-up menu. Drag the “Advanced” button onto the menu bar. Click Done.
- After a brief scan of your network, you will get the advanced option window illustrated below. Note the four items to configure: Type, URL, Name, and Print Using.
- From the Type drop down menu, select Windows (“Windows printer via spoolss” on 10.7).
- Type the following:
Note:Your networked printer should have white sticker with its printername. Contact the ProDesk if you need help locating any of this information.
- Enter the printername in the Name box.
- From the Print Using drop down manu, select the option Select Driver. Enter the model number and select the driver for that printer. Click the Add button to add the printer.
- Print a test page to make sure your new printer works. Select the printer you just added and click on the Open Print Queue button.
- You will see the window for your print queue. From the Printer menu at the top of your screen, select Print Test Page.
- A print authorization window opens and prompts your for your name and username. Enter your user name and your windows password. Check the box to Remember this password in my keychain and click on OK.
- A print test page should be printed on the printer. If not, check that the printer is on and that others can print to it. If the printer is working and others can print but you cannot, delete the printer you just added and repeat the steps above; make sure you type the URL correctly. If you still cannot print, please call the Computing Help Desk at x1480.
- Open the Print Setup Utility. It is located in the
Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder on your hard drive.
- Your Printer List should now be open. Click the Add icon.
- You get a window titled Printer Browser. Click on the More Printers… button, as illustrated below.
- You get the Printer Browser window.
- From the top drop down menu, select Windows Printing.
- In the next drop down menu, select Network Neighborhood.
- Select the HCACC workgroup.
- Click Choose to close the window.
- Now select the ACCPRINTERS from the list of computers in this workgroup, and click on the Choose button.
- Enter macprint as both the username and password. DO NOT use your Haverford username and password.
- You should see a list of networked printers on campus. Select the printer you wish to add and click the Add button.
- The new printer will appear in your printer list. You must now select the correct Printer Model.
Highlight the printer you just added and click the Printer Setup… button and then select Printer Model from the drop down box.
- Select the appropriate model printer brand and model from the list and click Apply Changes.
- If the printer has an extra tray or duplexing, you need to adjust the Installable Options.
- OS X automatically makes this new printer your default printer. To change this, select the printer you wish to make the default then click the Make Default icon.
- When you are done, close the Print Setup Utility by selecting Quit from the Print Setup Utility menu.
- Print a test page to your newly installed print driver. If you have problems, contact the Help Desk.