Effective July 1, 2015
IITS has negotiated with two wireless service providers for the best possible pricing on cell phone service, text and multimedia messaging, and wireless data plans. The college recognizes that certain employees’ positions require that, in the interest of furthering the College’s mission and maintaining certain 24×7 services, they be reachable outside of normal working hours by telephone and/or require that they have access to wireless data services.
Eligibility and Terms
Eligibility criteria and type of service provided as part of the Wireless Voice and Data Program are determined by the President (for the President’s office), or area Vice President/member of Senior Staff responsible for the division.
- Employees may have only one type of service (phone, smartphone or tablet data) with an approved carrier (AT&T or Verizon Wireless) on a single device (cellular telephone, smartphone or tablet) charged to the College.
- All wireless services are coordinated and billed through IITS. Monthly service charges will be centrally billed and charged back to departments.
- Monthly service charges beyond the standard voice and/or data charge (for example, international services for personal use, additional third-party subscriptions) will be charged to the employee.
- For those employees with phone or smartphone service, employees own and are fully responsible for the initial and ongoing cost of their device hardware. This includes costs associated with periodic upgrades and any damage, regardless of whether the damage happened in the normal course of work responsibilities.
- Phones and smartphones may be purchased through IITS, with employees reimbursing the college for the entire cost.
- Positions will be reviewed for program eligibility. Program and/or eligibility may be discontinued or modified at any time with or without notice.
Choosing a Provider and Device
AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless are both approved vendors for wireless voice and data purposes. Each provider has strengths and weaknesses in several areas including coverage and service quality, and device functionality.
IITS supports use of the Apple iPad, iPhone, and the many Android devices with physical or touchscreen-based keyboards, and most standard cell phones. Blackberry devices are not supported. Haverford College does not pay for cell phone hardware. Employees approved to be on the College account are responsible for the cost of hardware, including initial purchase, upgrades and any costs associated with damage or repair – regardless of cause.
IITS Client Services staff can work with you and your senior manager to help identify the right combination of provider and device to fit your needs. Contact the IITS ProDesk by email or call 610.896.1480 to get started.
A Note on Personal Service
Many members of the community are not asked to carry a cell phone or wireless device as a requirement of their job. However we recognize that sometimes calls are made and text messages are sent in connection with your duties. For this reason, Haverford College has negotiated discounts with both AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless that may provide better pricing than standard undiscounted service from these providers. Please visit our resource pages on Discounts for Personal Cell Service for details.